Thursday, February 24, 2011

#51 Hateful Things

365 Blog Challenge: Post #51

In my creative writing class, my teacher recently had us do a writing exercise by creating a list of hateful things. We were allowed to interpret this as we like. I found all the items on my list reflected the differences in class and respect between people in NYC and people in MN. This is not to say there aren't classless, rude people in MN. They're just more difficult to find. Items on my list included littering on the subway, having ridiculously loud cell phone conversations and playing music so loud that the people standing 5 feet away from you can hear it through your headphones (As a healthcare professional, I also must remind you that you're damaging your hearing beyond repair...start investing in hearing aid companies for my generation...).

This morning, while walking to the subway to go to the airport, I found another hateful thing on the sidewalk in front of a neighboring building.

BOOO!

Are you serious? You can't leave four blocks of cement at peace and let them dry overnight?? The part that really gets to me is that no one cares about your name or your graffiti or your "art" except you! Leaving your mark there is incredibly disrespectful and selfish! You're disrespecting every person who lives on this street who wants their neighborhood to look presentable. Maybe these are ideas are too complicated for the Washington Heights misfits, but I'm pissed.

And I kind of sound like an old woman. But I don't care. I work my butt off to pay taxes so the city can make repairs and some jerks ruin the whole thing because they're bored. Get a frickin' life.

2 comments:

Scott said...

ummmm...did you see the one on the far left. Scotty Boy

Oops.

Lauren said...

Haha, busted...is that where you went 2 nights ago in the middle of the night?