Sunday, February 20, 2011

#46 Daytona 500 Live Blog

365 Blog Challenge: Post #46

Boogity boogity boogity!  Scott (is forcing me) and I are watching the Daytona 500 today.  My husband may be the only Ivy-League-educated, thespian, Jewish NASCAR fan.  And I support him.  I guess.  I do want to spend time with him so I have decided to live blog to keep myself interested. Hope you enjoy.

(Times in EST)
Pre-Race:
- Glad Martina McBride remembered all the words to the National Anthem.  Country singers know how do it right!
-  What's with the Transformer race cars with guns?  I don't approve.
-  Scott tells me they got all new cars this year, can't I tell?  No.  I can't. They look exactly the same.  He tells me they got rid of the flat panel from the front bumper and the spoilers are now better looking.  (They're the same, I swear.)

Race:
1:32: Moment of silence....not sure why...Dale Earnhardt Sr.?  This is sad.  Scott is upset with me for not holding my three fingers up in honor of the 10th anniversary of his death.  I didn't know!

1:34: Wreck #1- Kyle Busch.  Oh no! M&M car is out??  Who the heck do I cheer for now?  God knows I don't like beer.  *Update- M&M car is not out. No major damage. Phew!

1:37: Umm, the NFL has a robot animation they use during the broadcasts and NASCAR has chipmunks.  This makes no sense.

1:40:  8/200 laps complete.  How long do I have to watch this thing?

1:44: Scott informs me this is Brian Vicker's first race back after having to sit out for almost a year due to being on blood thinning medication for blood clots in his legs and lungs.  That's serious stuff!  Kind of surprised he doesn't have to continue a blood thinner the rest of his life.  Though it would be a disaster to get into a serious accident while on a blood thinner. Talk about bleeding out.  Here's an article about it.

1:54: I have decided I am cheering for Trevor Bayne who Scott says has no chance of winning.  But he's cute (they just interviewed him) and I like the gold #21 on his car.  This is how I choose my favorites.  Scott informs me he's too young for me.

2:02: Kevin Harvick has reportedly lost an engine.  I thought this meant it fell off his car but apparently it just means it stopped working.  Scott is laughing at me.

2:07: This race is a mess.  Lots of 3-4 wide driving. HUGE crash involving apx 10+ cars. (Scott calls this "the big one".)  They're all licking their wounds now.  This sport sounds like a bad idea to me.  Drive as fast as you can and try not to crash.

2:16: We're trying to decide why Jeff Gordon (who is now out for a bit due to "the big one") was wearing a Breathe-Right while racing.  Does he snore while he drives?

2:40: Scott tells me this is the boring part of the race and it's ok to take a nap.  (I see his eyes drooping as we speak.) Best husband ever!

4:00: Ahhh, what a refreshing nap.  And we're back and cars are still crashing.  Matt Kenseth just crashed hard against the new "Styrofoam" wall.  So much safer they say.  Right.  At least he wasn't hurt.  63 laps to go!

4:09: Bayne is #2!!  Scott says he still has no shot.  Pessimist. Did I mention he's a rookie? (And he just turned 20...ick...yes...too young).

4:12: Best part about crashes? Watching the cars tear up the paint in the center of the track.  Easily amused right here.

4:21: Scott's calling it right now that if Dale Earnhardt Jr wins on the 10th anniversary of his dad's death, he's gonna think NASCAR is fixed. (Dale is the current leader).  We shall see.

4:25: I HATE how sexified Danica Patrick is in the GoDaddy.com commercials.  Finally a girl in a boy's sport and she has to ruin all the respect I have for her by subjecting herself to that crap.

4:41: Thank God my husband doesn't bet money on this race.  I swear to God every time some crashes I hear down the couch, "Arg! That was my guy!"  I have no idea how he has so many people winning this race but apparently they've all crashed.  PS Record number of caution flags this race.

4:56: Do you know how great it would be to have car mechanics who could fix our cars as fast as the pit row guys?  Life would be so much easier.  Why don't we have this?

5:04: Ok, maybe after all my kvetching I get a little bit excited by the end of the race...heart speeds up, butterflies in the stomach...12 laps to go!

5:10: Announcer calls Trevor Bayne a good pusher!  Three wide at the front of the pack!  CRASH!!!!  Hahahah Scott says his dark horse crashed (Regan Smith).  Whatever. How many dark horses does this guy have?  (Love you hunny.)

5:21: What's going on? This is chaos.  All sorts of crashes on the restart.  Dale Earnhardt Jr crashed so I guess he won't be winning.  Now Scott has decided he likes Jr. because of his skeleton racing gloves.

5:27: Trevor Bayne is in first during the caution but he's running out of gas!!  Suspense!

5:30: AHHHHHHHHH! BAYNE WINS!!! BAYNE WINS!! First win for the owners in 10 years!  Youngest driver ever to win Daytona!  I sure know how to pick a winner!

Post-Race:
  - "I don't even know where to go." 20-year-old Daytona winner Trevor Bayne trying to find Victory Circle.

The Gold 21 for the win! Never say never!  (Ahem...see 1:54 and 4:09 above...)

1 comment:

Meg McLynn said...

Way to call it, Missus W! Nice to see a rookie be a winner. I have zero interest in NASCAR, but now I hope you will live blog every Daytona 500, cuz reading this post was wonderfully entertaining!