Wednesday, February 16, 2011

#43 Goodreads Addict!

365 Blog Challenge: Post #43

I am obsessed with books.  I love the feel of books, the smell of books, the look of books, the idea of books.  It is no surprised that I am also obsessed with Goodreads.com.  Goodreads is a website devoted to books.  It is essentially a social network for book lovers.  It allows you to list the books you've read, are currently reading or want to read.  You can rate and review the books you've read so that your friends can see.  You can become friends with the authors of the books you like (e.g. Scott is online buddies with D.R. Haney, author of Banned for Life and Subversia because of Goodreads.)

Two of my favorite parts of Goodreads are the opportunities to win and swap books.  First, the giveaways:
Goodreads adds new giveaways for members everyday. (Being a member is free of course.)  Some are books that have been out for a while, and others are called "First Reads", books that are being published but not yet on the shelves.   This was the case with my most recent win, The Metropolis Case.  I received an uncorrected proof which I kinda like because it makes me feel like a book insider.

Over the last week, Scott and I have become ADDICTED to Goodreads swap.  Essentially, you list the books you own that you no longer want on the site and people request them.   Your only job is to ship them (which costs you nothing unless you want to buy an envelope).  You also can request books that are already listed on swap or you can add a book to your wishlist and the site will let you know when it becomes available.  You simply pay for shipping (which is generally between $3 and $4).  I am also a big fan of going to the library to checkout books because really, who has the room in NY for all the books we want? And who wants to spend all that money?  However, I think swap is almost more amazing than the library.  First of all, you don't have a time limit with the books.  Once you receive the book, it's yours to keep. Also, I love that in the spirit of knowledge and reading, people are sharing their books around the country!  I recently shipped books to Las Vegas, Nevada and New Smyrna Beach, Florida.  Scott just received a book from Baltimore, Maryland.  Book lovers around the country are sharing their love of books with others.  It's a beautiful thing.  Last, those books that you don't feel inclined to keep won't clutter up your precious shelf space.

Yes, I am a nerd but at least Goodreads has provided a great outlet for by book nerdiness.  I suggest you check it out, and friend me while you're at it!

2 comments:

Ms. E said...

Once I have that doctorate I know what I'm going to be doing.

Amy said...

Paperback Swap is another similar service that I've been very happy with :) gotta love book trading for the mere cost of postage.