Wednesday, March 30, 2011

#83 Labadee, Haiti

365 Blog Challenge: Post #83

The first port we visited was Labadee, Haiti.  Labadee is an island off of Haiti that Royal Caribbean owns. While it was absolutely beautiful, we felt the experience was a bit artificial, especially since we were really seeking out new cultural experiences.  We went swimming in the ocean and naturally, I managed to injure myself by stubbing my toe on a piece of wood at the bottom of the ocean.  I have slivers to prove it.  I had to go all the way back to the boat to get the tweezers and Neosporin which was kind of a buzz kill.  Also, one of the venders Scott encountered begged him for food in exchange for a free item.  I was horrified by this story because it made me feel incredibly guilty for being on the island in the first place, for being on this luxurious cruise when there are people there who don't have enough to eat.  I didn't even want to buy any knick knacks there because I thought they would just remind me of my guilt.  Needless to say, this was our least favorite port.

Labadee, Haiti
View from our ship

We saw these two small boats in the ocean near our ship while eating breakfast.


The water sure looks nice but there are hidden dangers underneath.

Like wooden planks....I'm ridiculously accident prone.

When shopping seemed to be out of the question, we tried to explore the island a little bit.  Not gonna lie, climbing rocks in flip flops is not so easy.

 More cruise pics to come!

No comments: