Monday, March 7, 2011

#61 Reading Material

365 Blog Challenge: Post #61

I've worked the last three nights and for those of you who know me best, you know I am terrible at three-in-a-rows.  I work 12.5 hour shifts and it takes me 45 minutes to an hour to get home so these shifts allow for nothing but work, food and sleep, literally.  Occasionally, I am able to blog in between shifts while I eat, but I guess since I was getting back in the hang of things after having 13 days off straight, I just couldn't do it this time. Plus, I was crabby.

I did, however, have time to read some interesting articles over the last few days and I thought I'd post them here for your enjoyment:

#1 Sheen is Surrounded by Coterie of Enablers - If anyone has been following celebrity news lately (or even watching CNN's Piers Morgan) they know that Charlie Sheen is a hot mess.  News just came out today that he was fired from Two and a Half Men.  Between drug fueled, hotel-wrecking escapades and berating his producer on national TV, he appears to be in a bit of trouble (though he talks as though HE is fine and dandy...can we talk about denial?)  This article highlights the difficulties in the entertainment industry (i.e. money-making industry) with getting someone help when he or she is making many people a great deal of money.  Priorities?

#2 Why Do Writers Abandon Novels? - We talked about this in my creative writing class (which is now over :(  ).  How can people can get 50, 100, 300 pages into a book and then just give up on it?  I have a new fascination with the writing process so I found this quite interesting.

#3 Go Easy on Yourself, a New Wave of Research Urges - You know the saying "Treat others as you would like to be treated?"  Well for some people, it needs to go the other way, "Treat yourself (and speak to yourself) as you'd speak to a friend."  Apparently being hard on yourself isn't especially effective. (Noted.)

#4 One Way to Encourage Checking Out at the Library - This article reports on a new trend in libraries- dating!  A few libraries across the country even set up speed dating night.  I think it's awesome. especially for those of us who aren't crazy bar goers, and let's be honest, who wants to meet their significant other in a bar?  Ok, ok.  I know there's a few bar success stories but this puritan think meeting your soul mate in a library sounds a little more wholesome.

Let me know what you think!

No comments: