Friday, January 28, 2011

#25 Rashi's Daughters, Book One: Joheved

365 Blog Challenge: Post #25

Rating: 4/5 stars
I stayed up late tonight (later than Scott even) finishing the first book of the Rashi's Daughters series written by Maggie Anton.  As many of you know, my husband is Jewish and I am not.  However, I have a fascination with the Jewish religion, especially of Orthodox Judaism (the form of Judaism that adheres most strictly to the words in the Torah).  When I saw these books on the Hanukkah table at Barnes and Noble a couple months ago, I became intrigued.

Ms. Anton, the author, studies the Talmud (explanation of the Talmud as found on the oh so reliable Wikipedia: record of rabbinic discussions pertaining to Jewish law, ethics, philosophy, customs and history) as well as medieval history.  I did not however find any educational credentials as to her background in medieval history, not that it's necessary.  Just something I noticed.


The first book of this series reminded me why I love historical fiction so much.  What's better than learning about a time period and a culture while being told an engaging story as well?  Rashi (aka Salomon Ben Isaac) is a learned scholar who secretly begins teaching his daughters the Talmud (something pretty darn taboo for the time.)  The story primarily follows Rashi's eldest daughter, Joheved, from age 12 when her studies begin, through her betrothal, marriage and pregnancy.  It also gives details on the Yeshiva that Rashi starts in his French city of Troyes as well as the family vineyard that he left his studies to maintain. The book gives excellent accounts of what it is to live a Jewish life in the 11th century, as well as some interesting insights on the Talmud.


Though the writing is simple, the authors voice seems appropriate in entertaining and educating the reader.  I was surprised to find that I actually missed my subway stop while reading this book.  That means I'm pretty into it.  Looking forward to reading the next one though I've got a long to-read list ahead of it.

No comments: