Friday, January 14, 2011

#14 Authors That I Know and Love #1

365 Blog Challenge: #14

Ok, so I use the word "know" loosely in the title of this post, but basically, authors whose work I love, who are interesting, who I have had some form of interaction with.  "Authors That I Know and Love" has such a better ring to it.

The first author I'd like to give props to is Dave Cullen, author of the non-fiction book, Columbine, which is an excellent, well-researched, humane look of the school shooting and of the shooters at Columbine High School.   Mr. Cullen made my day a few weeks ago when he commented on my 50-Book-Challenge post, thanking me for the kind (and true) words about his book.  As many of you know, this blog is not exactly PerezHilton.com.  Readership is not in the millions, more like the tens, daily.  So how exciting was it that an author that I wrote about took the time to not only read my blog, but comment on it?  So that scored him points in my book.  Not only did Mr. Cullen read my  blog and comment, he also responded to an email I sent him, personally thanking him for taking the time to pay attention to this little old thing.

Since then, I have occasionally been checking out Dave Cullen's blog, and was very interested to see some of his thoughts on the recent Arizona shooting.  Having done such extensive work researching the mind set behind Eric Harris and Dylan Kebold, the Columbine shooters, it's fascinating to learn Dave's take on this event.  He even made an appearance on MSNBC's Dave Ratigan Show, discussing the mindset of a killer at such events.  View the video here:



For his excellent book- Columbine, his friendly attitude, and his interesting insights on the recent tragedy in Arizona, I salute Dave Cullen!  Keep up the good work!

6 comments:

Dave Cullen said...

Ah, I liked that. Thanks for noticing, and watching the show. I was SO nervous.

Lisa said...

Lauren, Cullen's "Columbine" isn't as well-researched as some would have you believe. The author relied on at least one "witness" who later was found by law enforcement to have lied about her "relationship" with Eric Harris (she had none and in fact had never even met Harris). This big error is enough to have caused me to question other parts of his book as well.

Unfortunately a lot of people who have read "Columbine" will never know about that error and other questionable things about the book because they just stop at that one book and think, "Ah yes, now I know "the truth" about what happened at Columbine, and why." And it never occurs to them that there might be other books on the subject, books that some consider to be more accurate that "Columbine".

The two I recommend are "Comprehending Columbine" by Ralph Larkin and "Columbine: A True Crime Story" by Jeff Kass. Kass was a staff writer for Denver's Rocky Mountain News and he has covered the Columbine story since the very beginning. I've been urging anyone who has read Cullen's book to please give these two books a try. Unfortunately they haven't received half the publicity as Cullen's book. Too bad since in my opinion they're twice as good.

Lisa said...

Also, just so you know, Cullen leaves a comment on almost every blog that reviews his book. Links to his Columbine website and various other Columbine projects that he has going as well.

Scott said...

Just because someone liked his book, doesn't mean that they agree or believe everything that is written. In my opinion, it was very insightful and well researched and a good, interesting read that made me want to keep reading and learning more. And yes, I think it is great that there is other books out there about Columbine, as it does give us multiple perspectives on the event. Even Mr. Cullen would probably agree with that.
Lisa, also there is no reason to poo-poo on Lauren's joy by telling that Mr. Cullen writes on everybody's blog. First of all, their is no need to try to steal anybody's happiness. Second of all, who cares if he writes on EVERYBODY'S wall. That's a very kind thing to do, to go out of his way like that. It doesn't make it any less special.

I don't understand such bitterness in life.

Dave Cullen said...

Scott, thanks for that. I appreciate the kindness.

You're right: I'm all for lots of people taking a whack at writing this story. And yes, I try engage with as many bloggers as I can, when they take the time to talk about my book. I can't get to all, but I try. I plead guilty. I'm not sure I understand the charge. Haha. (Seriously, though. I don't understand why that's bad.)

I've apparently also damaged my rep in Lisa's world, by creating educational materials for the book. (Or possibly for offering them free.) Here is the Columbine Instructor Guide and Columbine Student Guide. Please consider spreading the word. Thanks.

And thanks again, Lauren.

Lauren said...

Wow. I didn't even realize I missed such a heated debate. On case #1 For all we know, all of Dave Cullen's witnesses could have lied. We can only take what people say so far. Some people will be honest, some will not. The fact of it is that Dave used many witnesses. He did not rely on just one so he could give a more complete version of the story. Some witness testimony may not be true but I don't think that because someone lied to him, it indicates the book is not well researched. I also agree with Scott that it is great that there are other books out there about Columbine. But whose to say that they have all their facts right either. Anything you read, any history, any journalism story, you can only believe so much if there's witness reporting. There's always speculation. That doesn't discredit Mr. Cullen. That's human nature. And people reading these books or ANY nonfiction, have to keep it in mind.

On the second comment, I also see no reason why it isn't awesome that Dave comments on other peoples blogs. He is an appreciative person, and even if he does, it still makes me feel good that he commented on mine! Not every author will do that.