Saturday, January 22, 2011

#21 Dani jammin' out

365 Blog Challenge: Post #21


www.bachnickphoto.com/gallery/download/DaniBaker2895.MOV

It has been a rough work week, probably my worst thus far in my nursing career.  Not only did my patient pass away on Monday, but another "frequent flier" of ours, a young many in his 40s, died of very unexpected circumstances on another unit this week also.  I don't feel I get overly attached to most patients, but once you've gotten to know someone over time, it makes it much more difficult to lose them.

Last night it all came to a head.  I was step-down nurse (more acute beds than regular beds, not quite as acute as ICU beds).  One of my patients was physically unstable all night and another one was mentally unstable for much of the night and yes, they happened to share a room.  Given my already glum mood and the deterioration of another patient on the floor, I was more frazzled than I like to be and I struggled last night.  It was a terrible night, and I was so happy when it was done because I have the night off, only to go back the next 2 nights.

However, after sleeping for a few hours today, I woke up to a little ray of sunshine on a Facebook video, my niece Dani.  There is no mood this little girl can't get me out of.  Thank goodness for beautiful, wonderful, hilarious babies, especially ones who are so important to you. See the video to Dani jamming out to Jim Carrey from "The Mask" soundtrack in the link above.

No comments: