Tuesday, January 25, 2011

#23 Nominees I can stand behind...

365 Post Challenge: Blog #23

Today the nominees for the 83rd Academy Awards were announced, and while I only watched part of the announcement on TV (while wrapping up my work shift) I wanted to comment a bit on some nominations that I stand behind 100%.   Please note that I don't see a ton of movies.  A movie has to really appeal to me (or Scott) for me to pay the money ($12.50 in NY!) and take the time to go to the theater to see it.  That being said, I've only seen 3 or 4 of the highly nominated films.  However, I will go on with my opinionated self and tell you who I like.

Best Actress: Natalie Portman
Ok, did you SEE Black Swan?  Did you see the transformation this girl went through in that film?  This sweet, smart, funny, charming actress became a haunting, demonic frickin' swan!  As feathers seemed to appear from under her skin, goose bumps appeared on my arms.  She was IN CONTROL.  A mad woman in a beautiful dancer's body.  Amazing.  She gets my vote.

Best Actor: Jesse Eisenberg
If anyone has seen my husband, you'll note that I like skinny, Jewish guys, and Jesse Eisenberg is no exception. Actually I haven't verified that he is Jewish, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was.  AND he is seksi! And not only seksi, talented.  And his performance in The Social Network proves he is beyond just an endearing, cute, Michael Cera-eseque actor (see Zombieland).  This kid has range. (I can call him a kid because according to IMDB, he's 2 months younger than me.)  In this movie, he played an awkward, cold genius...cold, but not cold hearted.  How complicated.  While The Social Network wasn't my favorite movie of the year (a little too much boardroom, not enough action), I thought Jesse was amazing.  (PS I also really enjoyed Justin Timberlake in the Social Network as I was pleasantly surprised he can act! Maybe not Oscar material, but fun to see none-the-less.)

Best Film: Black Swan
As mentioned before, I really enjoyed Black Swan.  It was so nice to see a movie that made me jump in my seat, that didn't have to be advertised as a stupid horror movie.  Psycho-dance thriller, is that what they called it?  I loved it.  I was into every minute of it, and if you haven't see it, you should for it's great story, it's incredible acting and it's beautiful visualizations.

Best Documentary: Restrepo
Ok, so I haven't actually SEEN this, but I did read the book by Sebastian Junger, a journalist who co-directed this documentary about the Afghan war with Tim Heatherington.  The book, WAR, was written about Junger's experiences while filming Restrepo, and I plan to see the movie very soon.  The book was a very raw look at a platoon in Afghanistan and the realities of war there.  I'll give you an update once I see the film.

So, on February 27th, I will be dressed to the nines, sipping champagne and watching to see if my favorites win their categories.  Ok who am I kidding, I'll probably be working and have to look up the nominees in my haze of exhaustion the next morning.  But I love Oscar season, and I'm hoping the previously mentioned nominees get the recognition they deserve!

No comments: