Saturday, August 4, 2007

A grand celebration...


On August 1st (my bday) my brave father (pictured here from his days in the Navy) turned in his last chemo pack (i.e. finished his chemotherapy for colon cancer) after 6 months worth of treatment. And tomorrow, he will turn 60. And tonight, we celebrated. Still in Mn, we were surprised by some Kansas family members and Chicago family members, and joined by other close friends to celebrate this wonderful week. I only wish I had some pictures to post! The party started off with a bang when Bruce Kluckholn's 6-month-old daughter, Sarah, spit up on my blue H&M dress. She was cute...so I let it slide. Between her, my cousins Haley and Ellie, and my sister's friend's daughter McKenna (who by the way has honestly been mistaken for Dora the Explorer...awesome), I had my fill of small children.

We were also graced with the presence of one of the best women in the entire world, Pam Cain, my MD before I moved to NY and neighbor and mother of my good friend Meredith. Pam, the most caring MD ever, took a good half an hour to examine my ankle and to tell me that its not getting better because I have such flat feet. Hot, I know. So she has given me a magical little pad to put in my shoes (which she assures me will fit in heels if need be) to lift up my arch and place my ankle in the right position. She also advised me to continue to wrap it with medical tape for the next 6 months. That's a long time. But if I get my healthy ankle back, I will be perfectly happy wrapping it every day.

I also got to see Emily Swanson (Emily- this is your shout out!) who was originally friends with my sister but I consider her my friend as well too. She witnessed 18-month-old McKenna going crazy for my new orange cell phone. I swear, this phone has a strange effect on small children as my 6-year-old and 9-year-old cousins asked me about 100 times if they could text my sister with it. I had to put my foot down (softly!!)

In the end, after McKenna's mom Jill accidentally dropped a frosting-filled cake plate on my dress (rough night for the dress) and McKenna pulled out my dad's bag of medications out from his computer desk (don't worry..stopped her before she could get that Chantix [an anti-smoking drug]) everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Especially my dad and mom who always seem to put on quite the party and my sister who's Happy 40th Birthday decorations were a hit (long story short...my Dad said he was celebrating his 20th anniversary of his 40th birthday because he is in denial that he's 60 years old). Another good night at the Bachnick house. Only thing missing was Scott who left Mn on Thursday. He was greatly missed by many, but especially yours truly.

Happy Sunday everyone. Let's hope this year is healthy and happy for all.

No comments: