Friday, August 17, 2007

Gallavanting and CBGBs...

I didn't know quite how to share this story by writing but when I told it verbally to AL and AB, they couldn't believe I hadn't yet posted it...so I will do my best with what verbal skills I have.

The other day when I was walking home from the subway at W103rd and Broadway, I noticed a man gallivanting in front of me. I don't really know what gallivanting means, but its really the only word I can think to use to describe the type of action this man was performing. Basically, picture a chicken walking around, pecking the air...on drugs...that's what he reminded me of. Anyways, I see this man walk up to a group of people at an outdoor patio at Cafe du Soleil, a nice French restaurant near my apartment. I think, maybe he knows him and is going to say hi. But no, he walks up to the table and spits a piece of candy (think like a gummy life saver) out of his mouth and begins to laugh hysterically and runs off. The people look shocked. What a nut. He proceeds to do this again at Carne, another restaurant near us on 105th and Broadway. I have to pass this man to get home and I am praying he does not turn around and spit something at me. Meanwhile, while he's walking, he's laughing like a doofy hyena and looks stoned out of his mind. I finally pass him and turn the corner towards my apartment. I glance back just once to see him flapping his wings while running across the street to yet another table at another restaurant. Who are these crazy people?!



Speaking of drug, when Scott and I were in the East Village (which happens to be where we're considering moving next year) before his play on Sunday we walked by the building where CBGBs used to be (famous punk bar for all those who are not hip on pop culture). We saw a man in what Scott called a "heroin stupor". He honestly looked like someone from the book/movie Awakenings, compeltely paralyzed in this awkward, bent over position, long, rocker hair hanging down over his face. It was mildly frightening. Interesting thing was that when we walked past him again about 15 minutes after the first time, he was in about the same position except facing a different direction. Really...JUST SAY NO kids. Scott joked that the man was reliving his CBGB days. Sad sad sad.



(Pic of an actual catatonic man from www.minddisorders.com)

No comments: