Sunday, September 21, 2008

New York Happenings August/September Edition

Hello all!

I guess I'm going to have to settle with only writing these emails every 2 months while I'm in school because it's too tough to find the time to do it every month. And considering all I really have to talkabout is nursing school, I may bore you all if I write more often! School is still going well. Perhaps slightly less stressful and busy than last semester, but that for some reason makes it harder for me to motivate myself. I have a new clinical group so I have been making even more great friends and will post some pics up on my blog as soon as I get some. There are some very wonderful people in my program (and some pretty annoying ones, but that's besides the point.).

My current clinical is adult Med/Surg at Cornell's hospital (part ofthe New York Presbyterian system, #6 in the country) on 68th and York.This hospital is FABULOUS. The unit I'm on is a breath of fresh air (haha..and it's a pulmonary step-down unit) after the somewhat dreary one I was on this summer at Milstein Hospital (at Columbia's campus, also part of the NYP system.) The nurses are so receptive and just show you everything they're doing, and even let you try new things. They're a younger bunch of nurses compared to those from my summer unit, and perhaps that's why they're primed to teach us. Even though I don't particularly want to work on a med/surg unit, I find myself getting REALLY excited to be done with school and be a nurse for a bit! (I still plan to take a 1 year leave of absence after mybachelors program to gain experience.) It looks like so much fun. My clinical instructors are also great for many reasons, but especiallybecause they let us follow nurses in other areas of the hospital. This Wednesday I was in the ER and I LOVED IT! The fast pace just gave me a rush, and Cornell is even a Trauma 1 hospital (which means they get the worst of the worst traumas...completely thrilling if you're an adrenaline junkie like me.) We also got to go visit theNeuroSurg ICU this week, and that was another great experience. Those nurses have to be the most competent nurses, just REALLY on top of their game. I found out that a few of the ICUs at Cornell do hire new grads, which was quite a refreshing discovery! I can't wait to get out there.

A short disclaimer for the nursing profession: although some people may still have the idea of the nurse in all white with the little cap on her head who just follows doctors orders, I'm here to tell you that is not what nursing is about anymore, and hasn't been for a loooonnnnggg time. (Think back to Florence Nightengale days...damn Flo gave some of us a bad name.) The nurses I have met, especially who work on the hospital floors, are smart, competent, caring, strong women and men who are doing one of the hardest but most rewarding jobs in the world. I believe I have found the right profession to utilize my strength (physical and mental), brain and sensitive nature to help people who are ailing. Don't ever undermine a nurse just because he/she is not a doctor. Because quite frankly, he/she does allll the work, and has to use lots of brain power to do so. Stepping off the soap box now.

Scott is doing well. He is currently doing some administrative work for Steven Chaikelson, the head of the theater program at Columbia who also happens to be a producer. Scott worked for him 2 summers ago, andthey took him on this time for about a month and a half which is very helpful. The consistent work is great. Scott has still be auditioning a bit, but nothing has come of it yet. He is also taking voice over classes (you know...the announcers you hear in TV commercials?), and he is really enjoying it. His teachers seem to think he could have a future in the industry, which is apparently even MORE difficult to get into than acting. But he's excited to put himself out there and see what happens.

Not much else going on out here. Can't attend to many wedding plans currently as I've got some more pressing issues to keep up with (i.e.grades.) I did enjoy seeing family at my Grandparent's 60th weddinganniversary party on August and am putting the link to some pics up here: http://newyorkhappenings.blogspot.com/2008/09/reason-to-celebrate.html

We're headed out to a play tonight starring Dylan McDermott and MauraTierney which sadly got bad reviews, but can't let those tickets go to waste! We're also looking forward to Scott's golden birthday next weekend (he'll be 27), and a visit from Erin and Steve in November. Until then, I must hit the books and read some more about anemia and other hematological issues. Good times. Much love to all! Hope the economic situation hasn't hit any of you too hard! (And if it has, go into nursing. Pure job security.)

Love yas,
Lauren

No comments: