Monday, September 15, 2008

Fearing the future...

I promise this will not become a political blog because there are plenty of those around, and I know I have family and friends who read my blog who are not of the same political mindset I am.  This is fine, and this is their right.  And if you are afraid after that intro about what is to come in this blog, I suggest you stop reading now.  I'm not here to offend, but to voice my fears.

In recent weeks, I have been watching the news of Sarah Palin's VP run, and I am honestly frightened.  I am frightened that this person, who could easily become the president of the United States is in denial about what is really happening in this world (global warming, evolution, multiculturalism).  Conservative is one thing.  Closed-minded is another.  Scientists have proven that global warming is occurring.  Deny all you want that evolution has happened because that's not what the bible says, but again, science has all the proof we need.  And the most atrocious I think is her supposed desire to rejoin church and state.  We are a multicultural, multiethnic, multireligious country. We provide many opportunities for many people living in more oppressive conditions.  DO NOT ALLOW SOMEONE TO TAKE THIS AWAY. Whether you do or don't believe another person's religion, another person's cultural views, or another person's political views, please at least allow them to have them.  If not, that is taking away everything that America is based on, and that would be a complacent end to the land of the free and the home of the brave.  

Of course I am happy that a woman is in the running to become vice president.  But I hope that my female peers don't only base their decision on her gender, because she may be female, but she is also a human who is not in touch with what this country is and what it stands for. 

Eve Ensler summarizes most of my fears in this article.  Read if you want a more articulate version of this message.

No comments: