Monday, July 9, 2007

Xana-DO!


It isn't often that I leave a Broadway play saying, "I want to see that again!". This is not because I have seen poor performances or lame writing. In fact, the shows I've seen on Broadway have been some of my favorites: Sweeney Todd, Spring Awakening, Coram Boy, Light in the Piazza. I loved all of those and more. However, seeing it once is enough. I often feel that way about movies. I don't like knowing whats going to happen because I've seen it already. I find that boring.

However, when I left Helen Hayes theater on Friday night after seeing Xanadu on Broadway, I said to Scott, "I want to see it again! No, I want to rent the movie, see it again and then buy a t-shirt!" It takes a pretty entertaining show to get that kind of reaction out of me. And Xanadu was just that.

Briefly, Xanadu is based on a movie of the same name that was made in the late 70s and starred Olivia Newton-John (post-Grease phenomenon) as a muse (as in ancient Greek muse) named Clio who falls in love with a mortal named Sonny Malone she is trying to inspire and who, thanks to her help, has an artistic vision of building a roller disco. Sound stupid? It is! But that's what makes it so brilliant! The show never hesitates to make fun of itself. From Kerry Butler's horrendous Australian accent to Jackie Hoffman's off the wall facial expressions, here are the top 10 Reasons to go see Xanadu:

10) Because Perez Hilton is quoted outside the theater as saying in regards to the show: "Do you love it, or do you LOVE it???" (I love it!)


9) Cheyenne Jackson (who replaced James Carpinello after a roller skating accident...no joke!) is wearing short jean shorts for most of the show and he is quite attractive.

8) Because Mary Testa and Jackie Hoffman make the best evil duo ever..."Let us not giggle! Let us cackle!!"
7) Because of Kerry Butler's voice. Enough said.

6) Because of the excellent special effects when Clio is returning to Mount Olympus (picture a statue of Pegasus rising up, surrounded by wooden clouds alternating in height).

5) Because Kerry Butler butchers both the Australian and southern accents...on purpose

4) Because it's about a roller disco

3) Because Kerry Butler spends almost the entire musical on roller skates

2) Because although there are 2 men playing muses, Clio refers to all of them as her sisters


AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON TO SEE XANADU ON BROADWAY IS:


1) Did I mention that Cheyenne Jackson wears short shorts?? That's hot.

No comments: