Friday, July 6, 2007

Damn Yankees

2 days after Independence day and I feel more independent already...or something. Must be the lack of class. The final went well and the last few days have been heaven, reading what I WANT to read. I just finished In the Lake of the Woods by Tim O'Brian...a wonderful read!! I find I have a completely different view of military veterans now after working with some. Much more sympathy and understanding, not that I think I was ever antithetic towards them. But working closely with them opened my eyes a bit to just how intense being at war is. I even got chills when the announcer at the Yankees vs. Twins game asked the US Veteran's to stand so we could honor them before the national anthem. Probably not many people had that reaction.

Anyways, the Yankees vs. Twins game was GREAT! Scott and I were super nervous because we were wearing our Twins gear. We half expected people in the street to start heckling us. But when we arrived at Yankee Stadium (which is AMAZING by the way), we were surprised to see quite a few Twins fans there. Looks like all the former Minnesotans who now live in the city turned out to see the Twinkies play. We even say in front of a family from Rochester, Mn. Oh those Minnesotans. One of them even shared his Cracker Jacks with me because I went to the U of Mn.

Our $12 bleacher seat view...not too bad!!





We had seats #11 and 12 in our row...which happen to be right next to each other....but on different benches. Its ok, at least our knees touched.

Sadly, not everyone at the game could be quite so friendly. While we didn't get any beer poured on us, we did get heckled by some dumb, loserish 20-something guys. They booed us whenever we walked out to get food (which we did often because we obviously had to have pretzels, hot dogs and Dippin' Dots (ice cream), and no we couldn't get them all at once). They also shouted that the Twins sucked. I wasn't really upset more than I was annoyed and it made me nervous. I asked Scott if we could walk down another way to get out for our ice cream, and he said "Don't let them win!" I said I wasn't letting them win because they're lame anyways. I just didn't want to get yelled at when I walked by. But we walked by them again anyways, and I was already walking back up to smile and wink at them and show them my charismatic Minnesota charm, but that time they didn't say anything. Doesn't that always happen! It's basically like thinking of a really good come-back after the argument. Happens to be quite often. Guess my reflexes aren't so quick. Look at these cute Twins fans!!

Anyways, these hecklers made the Twin's 6-2 victory feel all the more amazing. It felt AWESOME to beat the Yankees in their own stadium. I felt so proud that I took a picture of the score to commemorate the game. And I totally called that Luis Rodriguez was going to get his second home run of the season that game. Ask Scott. He'll corroborate my story.

It says Twins-6, Yankees 2...just in case you can't see that.


So we've decided we may try to catch a Twins vs. Yankees game every year since we bring the Twinkies such good luck (seeing as how the lost to the Yankees the day before and the day after we were there).

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend. We are going to see the musical Xanadu tonight and then I'm meeting up with my dear old roommate JB who will be moving to the city next week. I love converting those Midwesterners. We'll nicen up this city yet! Happy Friday. :)

No comments: