Monday, July 16, 2007

Minnesotans, Muffin-tops and MRIs...oh my!

It's a very funny thing to be walking down the street in New York and see a University of Minnesota t-shirt. It's an even funnier thing to see a familiar face in that shirt. Yesterday, while I was limping my way from Loehmann's (AMAZING outlet store) to Filene's basement in search of some jewelry for an upcoming wedding, I had this experience. I get super excited to see Minnesota apparel around the city so the maroon and gold U of Mn shirt caught my eye, but who would be wearing that shirt?? An old friend named Kyle who Scott and I were friends with the summer that we met. We all were in the play Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (Scott did the cowboy solo, Kyle did the calypso solo and I was the slutty wife of Potiphar...classic). While it took us a minute to remember each other's names, I learned that this old friend had been living in NY for 2 years and auditioning for shows, looking to make acting his career. I love it. Once I get a picture of the three of us, I will have to show you. We were some hot looking Egyptians.


I'd also like to make a clarification this morning. Scott thought that perhaps some people could take it the wrong way when I said I was sick of seeing the muffing tops of the girls in the Bronx. I must inform you that these muffin tops are not only a thing of the Bronx but are a universal tragedy that can occur anywhere. I just happen to see them the most often in the Bronx, though I'm not quite sure why.

I'd also like to clarify that while I rag on the Bronx a lot because it is so different from what I'm used to, there are many many friendly people who come from here. One, for example, is the assistant to the director of my department, Mary. She is a angel, putting up with the demands of an extremely difficult man, and still having a smile on her face whenever you talk to her. She's a great lady.

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Between the toothless man singing "Under the boardwalk" on the subway on Saturday night and my encounter with an old friend, I'd say mine was quite enjoyable. Unfortunately this evening will not be quite so much fun as I am finally going in to get an MRI on my ankle (which I am STILL having trouble with). This is very frustrating. I feel like after 2 months, including almost a month of physical therapy, this thing should be healed, or at least not painful anymore. And yes, a lot of walking is required in NY, but is that really enough to cause the same amount of pain 2 months later as after it happened? And does anyone know any good lawyers who can help me sue the city for this inconvenience due to their lack of side walk repairs? Have a good week all. I'll keep you updated on my silly ankle.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog is interesting!
Have you a beautiful t-shirt?
Please, send me its photo
and the link of your blog,
I'll publish in my blog!
Thank you Ivo
EMAIL: ivo.giulivo@gmail.com