Sunday, April 10, 2011

#90 Firefly Lane

Rating: 4/5 Stars
365 Blog Challenge: Post #90

During our cruise, I read a book that my mother-in-law recommended to me, Firefly Lane, by Kristin Hannah.  Since the recommendation was made to me, I have seen Hannah's books and name popping up everywhere.  I don't know how long she has been popular, but I must say that this book was a PERFECT vacation read, and I really enjoyed it.

Firefly Lane is the street where Kate Mularky grows up, and where she meets her best friend, Tully Hart.  The story follows these two women through their teen years to adulthood, highlighting careers, men, and priorities.  While Kate dedicates her life to her children and family, Tully throws herself into her career as a broadcast journalist.  Both are successful in their own plights, though both question their decisions throughout the book.  I had to keep myself from crying as I finished this novel in the Fort Lauderdale airport.

I would compare Kristin Hannah's writing to that of Jodi Picoult, though perhaps this book addresses less of a universal social issue, and more personal issues which we each must solve for ourselves.  It is mostly a light read though there are emotional parts of the book. The writing is strong though not amazing, but the story is endearing as are the characters and the message.  A great break from heavy books, and quite the page-turner.  Thanks Judy for recommending!

No comments: