Friday, April 1, 2011

#85 Colon Panama

365 Blog Challenge: Post #85

Have I mentioned how much I hate working three night shifts in a row??  The last two nights have been horrible.  I've had two female patients that are keeping my hands full and driving me nuts.  Naturally, they're in the same room.  I could ask for a different patient group tonight, but sometimes that makes me feel like a wuss.  Not sure what is more important: my sanity or my pride.  Anyways, I think reliving some of our wonderful vacation before work might help me simmer down a bit.

Our third port was Colon, Panama.  Scott and I booked an "excursion" from the ship which means it was overpriced but safe, so we didn't have to worry about finding a cab to show us around the city.  We got to the bus early however, and decided to walk around the port to explore before getting on.  Man are those Panama tour guides pushy! We crossed a bridge from port and took an escalator down to a pack of taxi drivers/tourists who would not let you get away!  I can't tell you the number of times we had to explain we already booked something for the day.  I am not good at being pushed and haggled, however, I understand these people probably don't make much money so I felt a since of guilt and annoyance at the same time.  Talk about being brought up Catholic.  We were warned by a taxi driver not to leave the port area on our walk because it's very dangerous on the streets.  And we thought Colombia would be dangerous.  We learned differently.

Our excursion was great.  We got to see the Gatun Locks at the Panama Canal which was much cooler than I thought it would be.  Then we took about an hour long hike in the rain forest which was shared by an old US military base.  Talk about some interesting, "Lost"-esque pictures!  Though Panama wasn't our favorite, it was definitely worth the stop to see some of these things.

Colon, Panama from our ship

Scott on boat, overlooking the port.

McDonalds in Panama!  This was about the time the taxi driver warned us not to go further away from port.

These locks will soon be renovated because they are suffering some wear and tear.  They are pretty genius though!

Workers walking across the Panama Canal on a teeny tiny platform.  That takes nerve.

The canal!  The water on the left has been raised so that a shift from the left can be pulled through to the other side.

Here is a ship from Greece waiting to come through.

Another ship carrying gas coming through.  This ship paid $50,000 to cross the canal.

This is one of the little mobiles that pulls the ship through the canal.  There is one attached on either side of the canal by cords which you can see in this picture.

This ship from China paid $384,000 to cross the canal due to all its Cargo.  Pricey!

Dilapidated barracks near the rain forest.

An old bowling alley across from barracks.

Here is a banana tree in the rain forest.  Bet you didn't know they had flowers?!

Termites nest.  Nassssty.

Rain....in the rain forest.

GIANT ANTS! (in the rain forest).

A sloth in the wild!

Colon, Panama. Maybe not the wealthiest place.


Scott enjoying one of Panama's best beers after a busy day.  He said it was very "hoppy" though I thought it was relatively smooth for my naive taste.



Ready for some Central American agriculture?  Costa Rica is next!

No comments: