Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Parenting skills...

Yesterday while riding the bus to work in the Bronx, I observed some parenting skills probably comparable to Brit Brit's (Britney Spears that is). A woman, probably in her early to mid 20s, was sitting across from me with 2 toddlers (adorable might I add). I was alarmed when she was swearing profusely into her phone telling someone he was "wasting her fucking minutes" and calling him names. The kids were both crying, one because her pacifier had fell on the floor and the mom wasnt giving it back because it was dirty. The mom proceeded to tell the youngest to "shut up" because she was whining about the pacifier. When we got to their stop, the mom grabbed the youngest girl and basically tossed her to a man who was waiting for them at the bus. She then grabbed the other little girl from her seat who didnt seem to want to leave and tried to stand her ground. The mom violently took the girl by the arms and carried her off the bus. She then proceeded to bitch at the girl and yell more obscenities at the guy. As the bus door closed, an abrupt burst of spanish took over as multiple hispanohablantes were watching this whole incident and I couldn't have gotten a word in at all over the clamor of chatter.....Oh the Bronx.

P.S. Also in the Bronx, which was about 50 degrees this AM, I saw a girl eating a popcicle. Interesting.

1 comment:

kerrin said...

funny stories!

I have an idea to make the pacifier even better. I am looking for support from parents like yourself who know what it's like to try and find a pacifier in the dark.

The idea is a pacifier that lights up when it falls out of a child's mouth. Making it easier for parent and child to find. I entered my idea in a contest and I need your vote to make it a reality. Vote Here: Light-up Pacifier.