Tuesday, October 16, 2007

New York Happenings: October 07 Edition (somehow my numbering got off, but officially I've been in NY for 17 months now!)

Hello all,
Happy October! I am about 20% calmer than I was in September because things have slowed down a bit at work and I've gotten into the swing of things at school. I actually got A's on my first exams in both classes (Chem and Microbiology) and so I am feeling good! I have already submitted my application to Columbia's nursing school and am starting to work on my application for NYU which isn't due for a bit. I am feeling great about the choice I am making for a career nursing and can't wait to get started. Part of that is because my past year working in research has shown me a negative side of research and the people who are involved in it. This is more true of psychiatrists than psychologists. The psychologists I work with are great. And my boss, who is a psychiatrist, is also great, but it almost feels like he's an exception to the rule. Plus, he's only part time so I have to deal with the not so great psychiatrists more often than I'd like to. Oy vey. If I have to hear about collaborating and grants and research money much longer, I might just scream. Clinical work seems to be the way to go for me. And perhaps, in the future, I can find some research people to work with who are a bit more normal and less greedy. I am lucky in my current job, most of the emphasis is on health services research which is far less competitive and much more compassionate research in my opinion. And the people who work in the area are a completely different breed ( e.g. my boss) than the clinical research psychiatrists, etc.

But enough about that. On to an ankle update. My current doctor and I concluded that this continuing pain I've been having in my ankle us due to ankle joint inflammation. Without getting very specific, he told me this is happening just due to the natural mechanism and weak joint of my ankle. SOOOO, we made some molds for orthotics which I should be getting by the end of the month and I am again doing physical therapy but very limited exercises because it seems like just the wrong amount of pressure in the wrong place will inflame it. I now understand why people get depressed about physical ailments/injuries, or about undiagnosed problems because I definitely went through a phase of that. But the inflammation has lessened in the last few weeks and I am finally feeling more positive that things are improving. Now if I could just get into some cute shoes!!! Soon…soon….

So those of you who read my last New York Happenings update saw the story about the weird man who took my picture on the corner of 95th and Broadway…the guy with the poodle. Just wanted to inform all of you that I saw him again last week! However, he didn't see me so I was in the clear. However this time, his dog was wearing a red kipa (the little head piece that Jewish men wear) kept on by hair clips. The man however was not wearing one. So apparently the dog is Jewish and the man is not. To each their own. Wish I had his camera to take a picture of that! http://newyorkhappenings.blogspot.com/2007/10/crazy-poodle-photog-update.html

The rents are coming out to visit me next month and I can't wait! I had a great visit with Erin and Steve in September. More info plus pictures in the blog. Check it out: http://newyorkhappenings.blogspot.com/2007/09/gasp.html
To be honest, I have not been a very good blogger lately due to my lack of time. But after this semester, I should get back to it.

Hope all is well with everyone and you're all enjoying the brisk fall air as I am! I love fall! Love to all,

Lauren

No comments: