Saturday, December 25, 2010

Looking ahead to 2011...

A new year is close upon us my friends, and I have been doing some goal setting.  I've always had goals, larger goals that one must go through the motions to get to. (E.g. to become a nurse, you must go to nursing school, take the NCLEX, get a job).  But some of my goals are less straight forward now so I am creating mini-goals to help get me there.

As most of you know, my husband challenged me this year to read 50 books.  To some of you, this may sound very daunting.  Who has the time, right?  Though others of you will say, 50 books?  I read 3 books a week, what's the big deal? (Though I suspect you are either a) reading teachers or b) fantasy/mystery book readers.  I'm not judging fantasy or mystery readers here, I'm just saying, those books are quick reads.  I am a snob and tend toward literary fiction...though will slip in the occasional mystery novel here and there.)  Anyways, so Scott presented me with the 50-book-challenge and I am happy to report, thanks to lots of subway rides and lack of energy to do much else while working the night shift, I have officially completed 54 books this year. (Notes on this challenge to be published in the new year.)

Scott has since challenged me again, though this challenge I'm choosing not to share his challenge for some goals do not need to be discussed with everyone or the pressure becomes too great.  But I will share the challenge I am creating for myself this year:  This year, I have challenged myself to write 365 blog posts.  (Significant blog posts, I'm not about to cheat myself by writing one-word-blog posts.)  So ideally, a blog posting every day, though this will not always be possible due to work constraints and travel (Western Caribbean Cruise- March 2011!!), I will make up for these missing posts and become a dedicated blogger this year.

What has inspired me you ask?  Maybe it was all those words I read in 2010 needing some way to regurgitate themselves after looping through the gears of my mind?  Maybe I enjoyed the movie Julie and Julia a little too much.  Either way, I hope you'll follow my challenge this year, even if it's just occasionally.  And I hope you'll set some goals of your own.  Mini-goals even, to help get you to those big ones.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays friends.  See you in 2011!

No comments: