Tuesday, December 18, 2007

New York Happenings, December 2007 Edition

To my besties,

Phew! I made it. Last night I rocked the socks off of my microbiology final (I hope!) which put an end to the semester from hell! Who knew working full time and taking 8.5 credits of science would be so exhausting?? So now I have a break until January 2nd when I start a winter intersession (3 week) course (Human Growth and Development). Then on to Physiology and Anatomy 2 and Nutrition for the spring semester. I hoping it is a bit less intense than this past one. I think some of my friends believe I no longer like them because I didn’t have time to hang out with any of them. However, I do still like all my friends. I just have goals. Speaking of which, my applications have been sent in to Columbia and NYU for their accelerated nursing programs but I won’t hear until February and April respectively.

So good news all around in the Bachnick household (which includes the Bachnick/Witebsky household in New York as well as the Bachnick/Baker household in Mn). The day I found out that I get to take a trial break from physical therapy (after apx 3 months and about $400-500 worth), Steve, my lovely brother in law, found out he got into the film program at Minneapolis Community and Technical college. YAY STEVE! Also, my dad had his first colonoscopy since his first one last year which led to a discovery of colon cancer followed by 6 months of treacherous chemotherapy. This year, his colonoscopy was clean except for one microscopic polyp which the doc wasn’t too worried about. YAY DAD! Here’s to a successful and happy new year in 2008!

Not much else to report. Scott is getting over a case of the flu (and by the flu, I mean actual influenza…and yes, he got his flu shot) which he’s had for about a week and a half. Started off very quickly with chills and a very high fever and has now just turned into a horrible rackety cough. We’re convinced he’s on the mend though, and he should be considering he had to return to rehearsals for Taming of the Shrew (Shakespeare) for which he’ll be playing the role of Grumio. (Grumio…Grumio…wherefore art thou Grumio??....meaning I don’t need no stinkin' Romeo! I’ll take Grumio any day!)

We’re headed off to Minnesota on Friday and I absolutely can’t wait! (If anyone is in town from the 21-27th give me a call!) New York isn’t so much fun when you don’t have time to enjoy it. I felt like all I experienced of New York in the last 3.5 months was the annoying transportation system and the inconvenience of snow here. Snow in Mn is really crappy to drive through. But considering you walk everywhere in NY (and I was lugging books, etc), I almost think snow here is worse!

I’m trying to think of any funny stories that happened in the last month but quite frankly, they’re all starting to blend together! You just get use to people’s strangeness out here. But keep checking the blog (http://newyorkhappenings.blogspot.com) , and hopefully I’ll have some more time to keep them up there. And if you go there now, you can see some really nerdy (but cute) pictures of Erin and Steve which is incentive for anyone to visit.

Happy Holidays everyone! (Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, New Years, etc). Hope they treat you well and everyone stays happy and healthy and plans a trip to visit me in NY for 2008! Love you all,

Lauren

No comments: