Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Volume 10: March 07

New York Happenings: Volume X
The Springing of Spring…or something….


Hello to my lovely friends and family!
I must tell you, spring in New York City is a beautiful thing!! The fresh air (don’t mind the pollution), the budding trees (forget those mounds of garbage sitting underneath them), the Hudson River at sunset (look at the water but don’t touch or you may need a tetanus shot.) I actually am seriously enjoying the spring here! And things are looking up for me in a lot of ways! Last Friday, I was offered the position I was hoping for here at the VA! In an email I sent to some of you earlier this week, I explained my new position:

“The new job is a research assistant position with a different doctor. I will still continue to work with a psychologist I really like, Carlos Jackson, on a study (Stay-Switch), and I will work with him and the other Health Services Research & Development people (Drs Claire Henderson and Deb Kaymen) 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time I will work for an MD named Bruce Levine. He is a psychiatrist who specializes in clozapine (an antipsychotic medication that is really in class of its own), suicide and suicide prevention and focus groups. I will be doing some administrative and clerical stuff for him, as well as keeping up our department's website (www.visn3.mirecc.va.gov).….. I am already starting to feel some relief that I won't have to be involved in this horrible study much longer! “

Ok, so maybe my cut and paste job here is a little lazy. But that is how I am feeling today. In fact, the federal government has inspired my work ethic so much that I am sitting here emailing all of you in the middle of the work day. Go me. I will be moving up to my new office on Monday, April 9th. However, I unfortunately have to mind my current study until I am replaced and then train that person once they are hired. Soooooo things aren’t perfect yet, but soon they will be improved and I will be a much more relaxed person.

I also found out this week that I was accepted to Lehman College, a City University of New York school that is about a mile or so away from the VA. So I will begin taking some evening, and possibly weekend, classes there hopefully this summer, but definitely this fall. My prereqs will consist of (for sure) chemistry, anatomy and physiology (x 2), microbiology, life-span psychology, nutrition and (possibly) organic chemistry and anthropology. Thrilling I know. I am really looking forward anatomy and physiology actually. I think I will be quite good at it. I hope to have completed my prereqs by next May, and will begin applying to a couple nursing schools this winter, though if I don’t get in right away, I will continue to take prereqs so I can apply to other programs.

Now I must report 2 observations/incidences that have happened since we last chatted:
1) Another old lady budged in front of me in line. This time it was at the bank. One minute, I’m staring at the back of the head of a young, 20-something girl, and the next minute some old lady with grey hair and pink pants has edged her way in front of me. I wasn’t even at the back of the line! What is that?? I didn’t say anything however. I find it’s better to hold your tongue, especially in the Bronx.
2) New Yorkers seem to think that the world is the garbage can. I reported last month that people often just throw things on the ground instead of making it over to a garbage can. This month, I actually saw a guy eating candies that were individually wrapped on the subway, and each time the subway stopped and the door opened, he would throw his little wrapper straight out of the door onto the platform. You’re kidding me right?
In other news, Scott has been auditioning for summer theater programs and we are hopeful that he will land something this summer. However, if he doesn’t, I won’t be TOO disappointed if he has to stay in the city this summer (*wink*), despite his night owl tendencies. Oh yes, and I actually had a small solo part (the alto solo) in Regina Coeli (Mozart) at my choir concert this month. This was a big step considering last month my director asked “Who’s Lauren?” …and wasn’t kidding. I was not amused. Also, Erin and Steve are planning a move back to Minnesota in April! We are very happy for them. I think this will be great step that offers some more opportunity for them both. I never understood how they could live so close to cows anyways. Silly Wisconsin.

Anyways, after another novel from me, I am sure you are all ready to get back to your own lives, which you should keep me updated on! If you’re getting this email, you are missed! Also for you Minnesotans out there, I will be home from the evening of Wednesday, April 18th to Sunday, April 22nd. Book your times now as supplies are limited. Much love to you all. The semi-New-Yorker,

Lauren
*MWA!

No comments: